Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DIY Basic Belly Band

I have seen this idea floating around Pinterest and loved it. I finally got my sewing machine to work so I decided to give this a try after reading the directions over at Pippa's Long Stockings. Here is my version of the belly band. I call it the Basic Belly Band because there's nothing fancy added to it and it's not a maternity band...although one day I'm sure I'll be making one of those. :)


What You Need
A shirt that fits you good in the mid-section and hip area
Scissors
2 sewing pins
A sewing machine


1. Lay the shirt out flat on the floor.


2. Cut the shirt into two pieces. You want to cut under the arms (as pictured). If it is a V-neck make sure to cut below the hem of the neck.


3. Fold the shirt in half. Measure about an inch in and put in a pin at an angle. (You can kind of see mine in the top right corner.) Flip the shirt over and put another pin in close to where the other one was located on the other side.

4. Now, on the sewing machine, sew a fairly straight line from the seamed edge of the shirt to the raw edge. Make sure to back stitch when you start and finish the sewing line to keep the thread in place.


5. Try on the shirt. You want to do this to make sure it is tight enough around the top edge to stay in place.

6. Cut off the excess material. Make sure to leave a little space so you can run a zigzag stitch to keep the seam from accidentally coming out.

7. Do the zigzag stitch along both sides where you cut off the fabric.


8. Now it will look like this. Inside it out and wear under any shirt that is too short to add length. I am so excited to have finally taken the time to make this because I desperately needed it!

Other Bloggers Maternity Bands

This Post Was Shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.