Friday, August 31, 2012

Homemade Almond Butter

I saw this on Pinterest about a month and a half ago and knew I needed to try it. I read about this recipe/experiment at Judicial Peach. The almond butter that my mom has purchased lately from WalMart runs about $5 for a 12 oz. jar. I wanted to attempt to make my own and see if it was better, cheaper, etc. Was the experiment successful? I think yes. This almond butter is so rich and delicious! I love the flavor and the texture. Even though it is not as smooth as the store bought kind I would prefer to make my own over buying it from the store.


Here is what I did. And it made 12 ounces of delicious homemade almond butter!

Ingredients
2- 2 1/2 cups almonds
2 Tablespoons honey (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread the almonds over an un-greased cookie sheet.
3. Bake the almonds for 15 minutes.
4. Let them cool for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the nuts into a food processer. Set a 5 minute timer and start blending. You may have to stop blending two or three times to get the clumps down to the blades again but don't stop the timer.
6. After the 5 minutes is up add in the honey and vanilla.
7. Set a 2 minute timer and let the food processer run. This time the mix will be a little clumpy looking, but it's fine.
8. Store in a good container. I used an old container I had from the store bought almond butter. I also had to mash the butter into the jar since it was clumpy. It is soft though so that's good.
9. Let the jar sit out on the counter for 2-3 hours before closing it and storing it in the fridge.

Notes
~I would assume the almond butter would stay good for AT LEAST two weeks.

Savings
It's been a really long time since I bought almonds because I buy the 48 oz. Member's Mark from Sam's (or rather my mom buys them...but still). Best I can remember it is about 14.50 for that bag. There are about 9 cups of nuts. Divide 14.50 by 9 that equals 1.611111... So $1.60 per cup of nuts. I used about 2 cups of nuts today in this mix that would equal about $3.00 for a 12 oz. jar of homemade almond butter. The store bought version (Maranatha Almond Butter) from WalMart? $4.50-5. So it's not a huge savings, but it is a savings AND I think the homemade stuff is a lot better. Try it out yourself and tell me which you like better: store bought or homemade.

This Post Was Shared!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.