Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mexican Tortilla Pinwheels

In recent weeks I've been putting together a few appetizer ideas to share with you all for the upcoming holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc). Of course you don’t have to make this particular recipe for a holiday… you could make it for a baby shower or even just to eat all on your own! This recipe is one that my mom has had around for a while and occasionally we make them up. I didn’t have any good pics of the pinwheels though so I went ahead and made up half a batch to have a pic to share with the recipe. Here is the full recipe (which I recommend using if you’ll be making this for a party, holiday, etc.).


Makes about 50 pinwheels once sliced.

Ingredients
1 cup (8oz.) sour cream
8oz. cream cheese, softened
8oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded*
4oz. can green chilies, drained
6oz. can black olives, drained & chopped to bits
4-5 10” flour tortillas

Directions
1. Set out the cream cheese to soften a few hours before you make this OR zap it in the microwave (without the silver wrapper) until soft enough to work with.
2. In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, and sharp cheddar cheese. Stir in the green chilies.
3. Chop up the olives (if you haven’t already) into bits. You don’t want them in big chucks, but they don’t have to be minced. Stir these in once they’re ready.
4. Spread a piece of cling wrap out on a flat surface. Lay one tortilla on it.
5. Divide the mixture in the bowl into 4 or 5 even servings. Scoop one of those servings onto the waiting tortilla. Spread the mixture around evenly.
6. Roll the tortilla up and cover all sides well with the cling wrap. Set to the side.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 with the remaining tortillas/mixture until it’s all been used.
8. Put the wrapped tortillas in the fridge for a few hours or overnight (overnight is better for letting the flavors blend!).
9. When you’re ready to serve the pinwheels, pull them out of the fridge, unwrap them and slice them into even ‘pinwheels’. Serve on a pretty plate or tray.

Notes

*I like to get the 8oz. brick of cheese and shred it myself since it tends to have a much stronger flavor than the prepackaged/shredded cheese does.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.