Friday, November 1, 2013

Miniature Apple Pies


A few weeks ago I had my grandparents out for lunch. I had made some really tasty chicken vegetable soup, a loaf of white bread and for dessert I wanted to use some of the apple pie filling I had canned back in September. I thought mini pies would be a lot better than making a whole pie since I didn't really want a bunch of leftovers in the fridge. I used the recipe from Grandma Karon's Apple Pie to make the crust (that’s also the recipe I used earlier this year to can apple pie filling). This isn't a recipe, it’s an idea I wanted to share since Thanksgiving is coming up soon and you might want to try something new and fun. My grandma was quite surprised that I was making mini pies in a muffin tin. She thought it was a really good idea and something she wanted to start doing for them vs. making a whole pie since the two of them could rarely finish a full pie by themselves.

When you get your crust made up divide it into even sections for each of the muffin tins you want to fill. I think the amount of dough I used was a little bit bigger than the size of a golf ball. Flour your surface and roll out each bit of dough out into a circle. Don’t roll it too thin or the finished pie won’t come out of the muffin tins in one piece. Place the over-sized circle of dough into a greased muffin tin. Make sure to press it down to fill out the full bottom of the tin. Repeat this for each muffin cup until all the ones you need are full. Fill each crusted cup with pie filling and then pinch the leftover dough from the crust together on the top. You can get really fancy with this idea, but I’m just telling you the plain and simple one. Bake the mini pies in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the crusts are golden.


If you’re using a regular pie filling recipe you’ll need 9 or 10 muffin cups with pie crust. For half a recipe you’ll need 4-5 cups.

This Post Was Shared!

1 comment:

  1. These look yummy! I've been thinking of making some mini pies. #nom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.