Monday, January 13, 2014

Cooking For 2 | Meatball Subs


I've seen meatball subs floating around Pinterest for some time and honestly the idea was never very appealing to me. One random day hubby told me he wanted to make meatball subs. I was surprised he knew what they were, and even more surprised that he wanted to make them. Apparently he had had them before and really liked them, so we gave it a shot. Let me tell you, my mind has forever been changed! These are so delicious and flavorful and MUCH better than I ever thought they would be!

I think this recipe would taste even better if you were able to mix together the meatball ingredients and sauce the day before and let the flavors blend. We made a double batch of this recipe (and later on I was so glad we did) but the leftovers went in the freezer for after the baby comes so I haven’t had the ‘day after’ sub yet.


This recipe makes 2 meatball subs with a few extra meatballs.

Ingredients
1 1/2-2 lbs. ground beef, uncooked
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 6” whole wheat sub loaves
2oz. (1/2 cup) swiss cheese, shredded
2oz. (1/2 cup) mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 29oz. can tomato sauce
1 6oz. can tomato paste

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl mix together the beef, crushed crackers, egg, milk, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, ground sage and garlic powder. You can use a wood spoon to do this, but we usually mix it up with our hands.
3. Roll the mixture into large meatballs. We did ours a little smaller than clenched fist. If you do them big you should only need 3 per sandwich. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. Check the center of a meatball and make sure it is completely cooked before removing them from the oven.
4. In a large skillet or pot heat up the tomato sauce and paste. When the meatballs are finished cooking place them in the sauce.
5. Mix together the two cheeses. Slice open the loaves and get them ready on a plate.
6. Fix your sandwiches! We did the three meatballs, a little sauce from the pan, topped it off with the cheese. Enjoy!

Notes
-This is a recipe which would taste good if you make it up a day before you eat it.
-We like to use blocks of cheese and shred off what we need since it tends to taste better this way.
-Leftover or extra meatballs can be saved in the freezer or used another day as a spaghetti & meatball dinner.
 
This Post Was Shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.